From: daos@daos.groups.io <daos@daos.groups.io> on behalf of shmatsuu@yahoo-corp.jp <shmatsuu@yahoo-corp.jp>
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2021 9:47 AM
To: daos@daos.groups.io
Subject: [daos] Question about Pool Size Expansion

Hi,

I have a question about expanding the size of existing pools online in DAOS v1.2? Is there any way to do it?

Thank you,
---
Shohei

shmatsuu@...

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I noted. Maybe I'm missing something here, but does this lead us to expanding the size of an existing pool?
For example, let's say we have a pool with uuid=puuid  and 100GB in size distributed over rank 0 and rank 1 now.
And, if we add a new server with rank2 with the following command, does it result in increasing the size of the pool with uuid=puuid to be more than 100GB?
To me, the following just results in distributing the data in the pool more horizontally, rank0-rank2?
dmg pool extend --pool=${puuid} --ranks=${rank2}
https://docs.daos.io/admin/pool_operations/#pool-extension

Thank you,
---
Shohei

Harms, Kevin

Shohei,

my understanding is that the current implementation assumes you have servers with the same configuration, so if for example, rank0 and rank1 have 5 targets each with 10GB, when you add rank2, you will have 150GB or an additional 5 targets with 10GB each. But I have not tested it myself.

kevin

Thanks for your reply. I noted. Maybe I'm missing something here, but does this lead us to expanding the size of an existing pool?
For example, let's say we have a pool with uuid=puuid and 100GB in size distributed over rank 0 and rank 1 now.
And, if we add a new server with rank2 with the following command, does it result in increasing the size of the pool with uuid=puuid to be more than 100GB?
To me, the following just results in distributing the data in the pool more horizontally, rank0-rank2?
dmg pool extend --pool=${puuid} --ranks=${rank2}
https://docs.daos.io/admin/pool_operations/#pool-extension

Thank you,
---
Shohei

shmatsuu@...

Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much for your response! I'll test it on my environment.

Thank you,
---
Shohei