New DAOS Setup

ayushsharma.ufl@...

Hi

I was trying to set up a simple single DAOS server. I built a docker image using the following commands: -

- $ git clone https://github.com/daos-stack/daos.git
- $ cd daos
- $ sudo docker build https://github.com/daos-stack/daos.git#master -f utils/docker/Dockerfile.centos.7
- $ docker run -it -d --privileged --cap-add=ALL --name server -v /dev:/dev 76379d4a8832

This gets a container running.
After this, I believe I am supposed to run the server with $ sudo docker exec server daos_server start -o /home/daos/daos/utils/config/examples/daos_server_local.yml
I get an error No such file or directory /home/daos/daos/utils/config/examples/daos_server_local.yml

So I copied the cloned DAOS source tree into the running container (this feels like a hack, was not mentioned in the documentation) with: $ Sudo docker cp ./daos server:/home/daos
After this when I run :
- $ sudo docker exec server daos_server start -o /home/daos/daos/utils/config/examples/daos_server_local.yml

I get the following error log: -

$ sudo docker exec server daos_server start \

>         -o /home/daos/daos/utils/config/examples/daos_server_local.yml

DAOS Server config loaded from /home/daos/daos/utils/config/examples/daos_server_local.yml

daos_server logging to file /tmp/daos_control.log

ERROR: server: code = 647 description = "requested 4096 hugepages; got 0"

ERROR: server: code = 647 resolution = "reboot the system or manually clear /dev/hugepages as appropriate"

Can anyone help me with what is it I am doing wrong, or what could be the reason for this? I am unable to find a similar error anywhere. Maybe I am doing something basic wrong or it's just that my config or hardware doesn't support this.
I am running all of this on a CentOS Virtual machine with 16GiB memory on Azure cloud.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.
Regards

asharma@...

Hi,

If you are just using the daos_server_local.yml config file and do not need an NVMe, just change the nr_hugepages: 0. This takes care of the error and starts the server.