Hugepages setting

anton.brekhov@...

Hi everyone!

I want to launch local daos server on one node. I'm using installation guide using docker https://daos-stack.github.io/#admin/installation/ . (Centos 7)

I've added libfabric dependancy to Dockerfile. I've installed uio_pci_generic to host. Also I want to use DRAM as SCM.

So I've started it with command

docker exec server daos_server start \ -o /home/daos/daos/utils/config/examples/daos_server_local.yml

And I got such error:

daos_server logging to file /tmp/daos_control.log ERROR: /usr/bin/daos_admin EAL: No free hugepages reported in hugepages-1048576kB DAOS Control Server (pid 560) listening on 0.0.0.0:10001 Waiting for DAOS I/O Server instance storage to be ready... SCM format required on instance 0

Can I use DRAM without hugepages? Unless how I need to configure it (link to some guide will be enogh)?

Thanks!

Patrick Farrell <paf@...>

Anton,

This message is a little bit confusing – It just indicates there were no 1 GiB huge pages, which is fine.  Other smaller huge pages were acquired successfully, and this doesn’t indicate any problem that will prevent you from running.

So you’re good to go - just need to format and the server should finish startup normally.

-Patrick

From: <daos@daos.groups.io> on behalf of "anton.brekhov@..." <anton.brekhov@...>
Date: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 9:58 AM
To: "daos@daos.groups.io" <daos@daos.groups.io>
Subject: [daos] Hugepages setting

[...]

Edited

Patrick thank you so much for reply!

Patrick Farrell <paf@...>

Anton,

Sorry, I will have to defer to others for this one – We have been using non-NVMe devices, so storage scan has not been necessary.

-Patrick

From: <daos@daos.groups.io> on behalf of "anton.brekhov@..." <anton.brekhov@...>
Date: Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 2:55 AM
To: "daos@daos.groups.io" <daos@daos.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [daos] Hugepages setting

Patrick thank you so much for reply!

Could you help with next issue?

Storage scan gives no NVMe disks attached, but container is in privileged mode and PCI addresses is visible.

[root@f58916bbacb5 daos]# daos_server storage scan

Scanning locally-attached storage...

ERROR: /usr/bin/daos_admin EAL: No free hugepages reported in hugepages-1048576kB

NVMe controllers and namespaces:

                none

SCM Modules:

                none

[root@f58916bbacb5 daos]# lspci | grep Non

87:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation NVMe Datacenter SSD [3DNAND, Beta Rock Controller]

89:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation NVMe Datacenter SSD [3DNAND, Beta Rock Controller]

Before running container I switch on uio_pci_generic driver.

Am I right that it must be in scan list?

Nabarro, Tom

Hello Anton,

"daos_server storage prepare -n" should be run prior to "daos_server storage scan" to make the devices visible to DAOS (“daos_server storage prepare -n --reset” will make them visible in the OS afterwards).

This preparation is performed automatically when running the server in daemon mode “daos_server start [-i] -o <server config file path>”.

Command usage can be printed with "daos_server [<cmd>] --help" and documentation in the admin guide: https://daos-stack.github.io/#admin/deployment/#hardware-provisioning

I have noticed that the admin guide is not explicit about this particular point and I will make a note to update.

Regards,

Tom Nabarro – DCG/ESAD

M: +44 (0)7786 260986

From: <daos@daos.groups.io> on behalf of "anton.brekhov@..." <anton.brekhov@...>
Date: Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 2:55 AM
To: "daos@daos.groups.io" <daos@daos.groups.io>

Patrick thank you so much for reply!

Could you help with next issue?

Storage scan gives no NVMe disks attached, but container is in privileged mode and PCI addresses is visible.

[root@f58916bbacb5 daos]# daos_server storage scan

Scanning locally-attached storage...

ERROR: /usr/bin/daos_admin EAL: No free hugepages reported in hugepages-1048576kB

NVMe controllers and namespaces:

                none

SCM Modules:

                none

[root@f58916bbacb5 daos]# lspci | grep Non

87:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation NVMe Datacenter SSD [3DNAND, Beta Rock Controller]

89:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation NVMe Datacenter SSD [3DNAND, Beta Rock Controller]

Before running container I switch on uio_pci_generic driver.

Am I right that it must be in scan list?

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47