From: daos@daos.groups.io [mailto:daos@daos.groups.io] On Behalf Of BASDEN, ALASTAIR G.
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2019 3:41 AM
To: daos@daos.groups.io
Subject: [daos] DAOS hardware requirements

Hi,

Having read
https://github.com/daos-stack/daos/blob/master/doc/storage_model.md
is it the case that all storage nodes must have DCPMM (apache pass)
memory?

I was hoping to install a test installation using a metadata server with
DCPMM memory, and storage nodes with only NVMe drivers (these are not
cascade lake, so no DPCMM). However, I am now unclear whether this will
be possible.

Thanks,
Alastair.

Chaarawi, Mohamad

Note that the DCPMM also captures small I/Os (< 4k) in addition to the DAOS metadata.

That being said, for a quick test setup, you can use DRAM instead of DCPMM (use a tmpfs mount).
Again this is just for testing (if you reboot of course all data / metadata in your tmpfs is gone).

Thanks,
Mohamad

´╗┐On 7/26/19, 8:56 AM, "daos@daos.groups.io on behalf of Carrier, John" <daos@daos.groups.io on behalf of john.carrier@...> wrote:

DAOS metadata resides in persistent memory (DCPMM) on the same node as the block storage (NVMe drives). DAOS is an object store, not a file system. The metadata in the DCPMM are the data structures that each DAOS server maintains to access the application data stored in DAOS containers and objects on the SSDs.

--jc