Pool creation fails with "instance is not an access point"

4felgenh@...

Hello,

My setup and issues are very similar to what has been described in https://daos.groups.io/g/daos/message/317. I have tried every suggested fix from the corresponding thread and so far, none have worked.

I'd like to setup a very simple daos server for testing purposes on a server with 120 GB of regular RAM, no NVMe SSDs attached, and only one single server instance. However, I'm not using docker.

Hence, I installed daos as described in the admin guide and used the config file from daos/utils/config/examples/daos_server_local.yml which would use a ram disk to emulate scm.

After I have started the daos server with, "daos_server --debug --config=$basepath/daos_server_local.yml start", I'd like to create a pool in a second terminal with "dmg -i -l localhost:10001 pool create -s 1G". This fails with:

localhost:10001: connected
Pool-create command FAILED: rpc error: code = Unknown desc = instance is not an access point
ERROR: dmg: rpc error: code = Unknown desc = instance is not an access point

Did I miss some step that I have to execute beforehand?