Pool creation complains with "nodRPC client set"

Alex Barcelo

I was trying to follow the instructions on the documentation. I am doing a simple run --no NVMe devices, no SCM devices, just using the /home/daos/daos/utils/config/examples/daos_server_local.yml configuration.

I have started the server through docker and, so far, it does not complain. I run the docker exec server dmg -i storage format successfully.

However, the following happens when I try to create a pool:

➜  ~ docker exec server dmg pool create --scm-size=1G --nvme-size=1G -i
localhost:10001: connected
Creating DAOS pool with 1GB SCM and 1GB NvMe storage (1.000 ratio)
Pool-create command FAILED: rpc error: code = Unknown desc = no dRPC client set (data plane not started?)
ERROR: dmg: rpc error: code = Unknown desc = no dRPC client set (data plane not started?)
➜  ~

What am I missing? I followed the documentation and jumped from DAOS in Docker to Pool operations, as the sections in-between seems to be oriented for non-docker scenarios. But maybe there is some step I overlooked there?