Re: New to DAOS: Storage Pools

Harms, Kevin

In my opinion, I would not say that DAOS has tiers. It does support a configuration for small writes landing in PMEM and then a later aggregation service will batch them into the NVME. However, there is no general data movement service inside DAOS that moves data between different tiers of storage. There are data mover tools, but those are run manually in order to move data in and out of DAOS.

kevin

From: daos@daos.groups.io <daos@daos.groups.io> on behalf of TheCTEgroup <david@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 1:12 PM
To: daos@daos.groups.io
Subject: [daos] New to DAOS: Storage Pools

As I was going through the documentation reading about the storage pools I saw the diagram that shows storage pool 1, 2, and 3 all a combination of SCM PMEM or NVMe, but I couldn’t find any detail on whether those pools have a tier priority, which I assume they do, and if they all had to be DAOS storage containers or if one could be an archive tier via S3 (cloud perhaps?) or some NAS. I know anything is possible, but just looking at whether is would be practical based on front end performance requirements balanced with long term retention to a potentially lower cost tier of storage

thank you.