From: daos@daos.groups.io <daos@daos.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ethan Mallove
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 9:24 PM
To: daos@daos.groups.io
Subject: Re: [daos] Update to privileged helper

If you are running DAOS from source, and you want to run as a non-root user, then you will need to perform some manual setup steps on every server in order to ensure that the privileged helper has the correct permissions in order to perform privileged tasks

What are the manual steps?  I tried using setuid and checking immutable bit, but I still get the privileged helper (daos_admin) does not have root permissions, e.g.,

# chmod u+s install/bin/daos_admin

$ ls -ltrd install/bin/daos_admin

-rwsrwxr-x 1 emallovx emallovx 21838880 Jul 13 18:54 install/bin/daos_admin

# chown -R root:root install/bin/daos_admin

chown: changing ownership of ‘install/bin/daos_admin’: Operation not permitted

$ lsattr daos_admin

lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on daos_admin

Regards,
Ethan