Announcement: DAOS License Change

Prantis, Kelsey

DAOS Community,

As announced at the DAOS User Group, DAOS will be changing its license to a more permissive license.

The DAOS project is currently licensed under the Apache License, Version 2. The DAOS team has received feedback that a license compatible with GPLv2 would be beneficial to the community, as it would allow for integration between DAOS and GPLv2 software such as Lustre, MariaDB/MySQL, fio, etc.

We will be transitioning to the BSD-2-Clause Plus Patent License with the next DAOS release (DAOS v1.2). As we transition to thew new license, users must make future contributions to DAOS during this transition under the revised license.  If you have any questions or concerns about the transition to the BSD-2-Clause-Patent license, please reach out to us on the DAOS community Slack channel or via our mailing list, and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

We think this is a very positive step for DAOS that will allow us to more widely participate in the open source community, and are looking forward to the additional integrations that will now be possible.

Regards,

Kelsey Prantis
Senior Software Engineering Manager
DAOS, Intel