Re: Intel Optane SSD mounting problem

Nabarro, Tom

We probably need to get further information from NSG folks on product specifics regarding Opal support in 905p SSDs. This seems to be a prerequisite for device management through SPDK.

Tom

From: daos@daos.groups.io <daos@daos.groups.io> On Behalf Of Farrell, Patrick Arthur
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 8:42 PM
To: daos@daos.groups.io
Subject: Re: [daos] Intel Optane SSD mounting problem

Gert,

We're seeing this when we run identify on our 905p SSDs:

"

NVMe Controller at 0000:1a:00.0 [8086:2700]

[...]

Serial Number:                         PHM29226005S480BGN
Model Number:                          INTEL SSDPE21D480GA

[...]

Admin Command Set Attributes

============================

Security Send/Receive:                 Supported

"

However, when I run nvme_manage, I get an error stating that Opal is not supported (the same error DAOS is spitting out, incidentally):

"Please Input PCI Address(domain:bus:dev.func):

0000:1a:00.00

Opal General Usage:

        [1: scan device]

        [2: init - take ownership and activate locking]

        [3: revert tper]

        [4: setup locking range]

        [5: list locking ranges]

        [6: enable user]

        [7: set new password]

        [8: add user to locking range]

        [9: lock/unlock range]

        [10: erase locking range]

        [0: quit]

1

[2020-06-24 14:37:34.452086] nvme_opal.c: 828:opal_discovery0_end: *ERROR*: Opal Not Supported.

"

Any thoughts?

Regards,

-Patrick